Saturday, July 5, 2008

The Final Legend

A Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Fan Fiction


Written by: Amari

~ Author’s Note ~
I am giving a fair warning to those of you who are not in full awareness that this fan fiction is based on the infamous Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess video game created by Shigeru Miyamoto. In this story, there are a few scenes that are not entirely in sync with the original storyline for the game. Such changes are as follows: - New characters have been added
- Some new scenes have been added
- Some scenes are altered versions from previous games (ex. Ocarina of Time)
- New ideas and sequences have been added
As you can comprehend from the above list, this is not your ordinary Zelda fan fiction. Before you begin reading, I must ask those of you who are unfamiliar with the Legend of Zelda series to leave this page immediately. For the rest of you, please enjoy.
Yours Truly,
Amari




~ Chapter One: Darkest Hour~



“Come on! You’re going to be late! Wake up already!” Groaning with displeasure, I slowly opened my eyes. My younger sister, Sakura, was sitting on top of my chest. I angrily pushed her off and pulled the blankets over my head. “Go away! It’s too early to bug me.” My voice seemed to be muffled by heavy sheets. I heard my door creak open, but thought nothing of it. I, then, heard Sakura’s voice quiver slightly as she said, “Mother! Mother! Amari pushed me!” Crap... now she’s lying to Mom. Could this day get any worse?
Grouchily, I pushed the blankets down until they were bunched together at the foot of the bed. Although I feared for my life, I sat up to face my hot-headed mother. Even though she looked calm, I could see the anger burning in her eyes like little flames. Her gaze felt like she was poking me with a torch. “Amari... how many times must I tell you? You have to be nicer to your little sister; what are you doing still in bed? You’re supposed to be at work already! Goodness! Will you ever learn!? Get dressed!”
My mother’s voice, which increased in volume, reverberated off of the walls in my small bedroom. She was a tall, lanky sort of woman with curly, auburn hair that fell to her waist. She had brilliant emerald eyes and freckles splashed all over her cheeks; although her age ranged in the mid 40’s, she could have passed for 25. Her fiery temper made her stubborn, but she could be very lovable at times. This was not one of them. She threw my work uniform at my face and stalked out of the room, Sakura following her with a rather victorious smirk on her face.
Muttering insults under my breath, I threw on my beige halter top and my sage green shorts. I hated having to work on the weekends.
Sighing, I walked over to my mirror and glared at my reflection; I cautiously raised my hands to my head. My hair was a giant, ratty blob. I had never been able to do anything with it except for a short pony-tail or just leave it down. I guess I’ll pull it back today... whatever. I grabbed the sage ribbon and wrapped it around the fistful of hair, topping it off with a bow. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my dagger and its small scabbard lying next to my bed. I stared at it for a moment, not sure whether to take it or leave it. Well... it wouldn’t hurt to be armed, I guess. I swiftly picked it up and strapped it around my thigh.
Once I was ready, I swung open my bedroom door, sprinted down the stairs and out of the house. Even though I was usually armed in some way, I was just your average 18-year-old. I was average height for my age with wavy, dirty blonde hair and ocean-blue eyes.
I looked up at the sky, my hair rippling slightly with the wind. The sun was blotted out by the gray clouds, but it was still intensely humid. It looked as though it would start raining soon. Shrugging, I made my way through the village to the ranch.
I grew up in Ordon Village, but I was never sure if that was really where I belonged.
The only person that I could relate to the most was Link. We had known each other since we were children and grew up together in the village.
I waved to Mayor Bo as I made my way to the dirt path way that lead to the ranch. “Hey, Amari! Are you going to close up the ranch?” I nodded, smiling sweetly. “Hey, you haven’t seen Link, have you Bo?” He paused for a second, and then nodded; he shifted his gaze from me to the path. “Yeah, I saw him. He seemed like he was in a hurry. I wonder why...”
His voice trailed off. After a moment, I broke the silence by asking, “Did he say anything?”
“Why, yes actually. I asked him what the rush was about, and he said ‘I can’t tell you. It has to do with my dream!’ Then, he ran off. What did he mean by that?” My eyes widened as I realized what he meant.
Almost instantly, memories of the day he told me of his dream came rushing into my mind like a fog. With a worried look on my face, I sprinted off towards the ranch.
* * * * * * * * * * *
“I don’t know why, but this dream has reoccurred for the past few weeks. I just can’t explain it...” I laid a hand on Link’s shoulder and gave him a concerned look. “Well, not everything has to be logically explained, Link!” He laughed nervously, smiling at me. Drawing in a deep breath, he began. “It starts out like this... I’m standing outside the ranch. Even though it feels like daytime, it’s dark outside. I’m just standing there, looking around. Then... I hear this voice. It says, ‘I know how you must be feeling right now, and I feel for you. I really do. It must be absolutely terrible to lose her in a way like that.’ It sounded like a man’s voice, but it was mixed in with another, deeper voice. I don’t know why, but I said, ‘Shut up! You don’t know anything!’
“It laughed and when it replied, it sounded like it was right behind me. ‘I don’t? Well, that’s what you think.’ When I turn around, there is this figure standing there. I couldn’t see a face because it had a hood on. I asked it who it was, and it said, ‘You know who I am. I am you.’
“At first, I didn’t know what to think. Then, it removed it’s hood. It really was me! Only... he had red eyes and black hair. ‘I’ll make a deal with you. Meet me at the field in front of the ranch.’ I was confused, so I asked him what would happen if I refused to arrive. Then, he started laughing. ‘Well, I would, if I wanted to see my friend again.’ I was speechless; he, then, shoved his hand into my chest. For only a split second, I felt pain... then, I woke up.” He paused, his intense blue eyes piercing into mine.
I wondered what it meant for a few moments. “Amari... do you think that it is a sign or just a regular dream?” I paused, then shook my head. “I don’t know. It is very detailed, so it could be a premonition... I would have to look into it.” He nodded smiling sweetly. “Thanks for listening to me, Amari. You are a true friend.”
I giggled and leaned towards him, giving him a small peck on the cheek. He blushed and turned away. “Oh... I-I’m sorry... I thought you...” I felt my face burning with embarrassment. He turned back to me and gently grabbed my chin. I couldn’t help but smile at him. “No... it’s not that... I...” He paused, staring into my eyes. I felt mesmerized by his gaze, like he was pulling me in. I felt his warm breathe roll down my neck; I felt dizzy and confused all at once, yet I felt safe with him by my side. Helpless, I let him lean into my face. Soon, our lips met. The longing for him that I had felt for these many years of knowing him flowed to my lips, taking over my body piece by piece. I felt a strong passion burning deep within me, perpetually lighting all oblivion. After what seemed like an endless kiss, we pulled apart... smiling. “Well, A-Amari, I guess I better go home. I... I’ll see you tomorrow.” With one final peck on the cheek, he stood and left for home. I continued to sit there, staring after him; I felt the color filing into my cheeks. Although he was gone, I managed to whisper, “Yeah. See you tomorrow.” Giggling to myself, I stood and made my way back to my house.
* * * * * * * * * * *
Not too soon after talking to Bo, I arrived at the ranch’s field. By that time, the bottom of the clouds had broken and rain was pouring down. In the middle of the field, I noticed that there was a figure slumped over.
When I first noticed it, I felt this horrible sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I felt the sinking feeling deepen as I drew closer to the figure. Once I had a clear view, I gasped. No... this can’t be! I shook my head in denial, then rolled the body over with the tip of my shoe. There, lying before me, was Link.
At first, I didn’t know what to think. I wasn’t sure whether he was dead or just unconscious. Kneeling beside him, I placed two fingers on the vital point in his neck. Luckily, I felt the blood pulsing through his veins.
I, then, let out a huge breath that I hadn’t realized I was holding. I need to get him out of here... “Hey! Amari! Did you find Link?” I whirled around, shifting my gaze to the entrance. I, then, noticed Ilia running towards me. As she came closer, however, she slowed to a stop.
Speechless, her eyes darted from me to Link and back again. I slowly stood and laid a hand on her shoulder. “Ilia... this is not what it looks like...” She cut me off. “Then what happened?”
“Well, I don’t know! I just found him out here!”
“Isn’t there anything that you think could have happened?”
Since I had never actually stopped to think about it, this caught me by surprise. Unfortunately, just as was about to make a suggestion, I heard a low cough trail from behind me.
I knew instantly what it was and I quickly turned around, kneeling next to Link.
He propped himself up on his elbows, looking into my eyes. “A-Amari...? Is everything okay?” I nodded, smiling to keep him calm. “Well, everything but you! What happened here? You’re bleeding!”
Link sat up the rest of the way and looked down at the slash across his stomach. It was bleeding profusely. I kneeled down beside him, looking at the wound with concern. “Amari... i-i-it’s just a scratch! No big deal!”
Glaring at him, I ripped open his shirt. I shrieked and stood, covering my mouth with my hands. Ilia held a sickened look on her face. The gash was deep, almost passing for endless. His blood seeped out onto the ground and all over himself.
I held out my hand, looking away. “I guess I have to be the one to clean you up. Come on.” He paused for a moment, and then grabbed my hand. As I helped him up onto his feet, he cringed and grunted in pain. I tried to help him stand straight, but he waved me away. “Well, if you’re in pain, you should let someone help you!” He cried out and held his stomach. I tried to grab his arm to lead him back to the village. “Gah! Amari, that hurt! Be careful!”
“I can’t help it that you’re hurt! You should have-“
“Should have what? Warned you?”
I paused, but continued leading him to his house. Well, he didn’t have to get so defensive! I sighed, staring into the clouds. Twilight began to fall all around us. As it swarmed the air around us, I began to feel it seeping into me, as if it were trying to become a part of me. I felt myself wearing down and my happiness slipping away from my grasp. I almost stopped and left, but we were already moments away from Link’s house.
As it came closer into view, I looked up at the top of the stairs. For a moment, I saw a shadow that resembled the dark being Link had mentioned in his dream earlier that week.
It’s brilliant, scarlet eyes stared down at me; I soon began to feel intimidated by the mysterious figure. I saw the corner of its mouth pull up into an awkward half-smile, flashing its radiant, unnaturally white teeth at me.
I narrowed my eyes, wondering what it was thinking. At that moment, words came rushing into view. The words played in my head as the figure mouthed them. You are more than what you believe yourself to be. Return to what you were and everything will become clearer.
I felt my eyes widen as those words played back to me, a perpetual echo floating aimlessly through my mind. “What?” was all that I was able to reply, since I was still unable to comprehend what it meant.
I soon felt a continuous tugging on my shoulder. In the background, a faint voice called out my name. Was it Link?
“Amari? Amari! Wake up! What are you looking at?”
Shaking my head, I blinked and turned to Link. “What?”
Link rolled his eyes and sighed. “Hello? I asked you what you were looking at. Why did you zone out like that?” I paused, staring blankly at him. “Oh, um, it was nothing. Just a squirrel.”
I smiled nervously.
He narrowed his eyes and stared at me, obviously suspicious. After a long pause, he waved it away and cautiously clambered up the ladder. I followed close behind him, ready to help him if he fell.
Amazingly enough, he managed to make it to the top without stumbling even the slightest bit. As I pulled myself up, I suddenly felt a twinge of pain shoot through me. Breathing soon became too difficult. Clutching my chest, I slowly collapsed to my knees, cringing and gasping for air. Strangely, as soon as it came, the pain was gone.
Although I tried desperately to hide it, I understood completely where it came from. The hole in my heart, left by my father’s tragic death in battle and many other heart-breaking experiences, had made an attempt to bring in those horrid nightmares that had been locked away for so long.
My father, Cornelius, was captain of Hyrule’s Royal Knights and a loyal friend of the king of Hyrule. In the Great War between the Hylian and the Gerudo, one of his comrades had betrayed the army and joined the Gerudo. As an unfortunate result, my father had been murdered by his old friend. After hiding in shame, I was later told that this comrade had given his own life.
Link helped me onto my feet, brushing the dirt from my shoulder.
“Amari, what happened? Are you well?” I paused, placing my hand over my eye. I hadn’t noticed that my hands were shaking.
“I am fine. It was just... nothing.” I was expecting him to sigh with relief and smile like he always did. Instead, he gave me a sympathetic look and gently brushed my cheek. When he pulled his hand away, I noticed a small tear sitting upon his finger.
At that moment, feeling rushed back into my body. My cheeks suddenly felt hot and wet; I then realized that I had been crying. I felt the color drain from my face as my heart fluttered around inside of my chest.
Once we were inside, I guided him over to the couch—he grunted in pain as he sat down—and got him a damp strip of cloth to hold over the wound. Not too soon after disappearing into his basement, I returned with some medicinal alcohol. “Now, hold on. This is going to sting a little.” I assured him, dabbing away at the gash. Although I had a vague view of his face, I could see him bite his lip as he held back from crying out in pain.
“Well, you are taking this better than I would have expected.” I mused, giggling to myself.
As I cleaned away the blood and dirt, the gash appeared to be gradually growing smaller and shallower. I let out a sigh of relief at the sight of this.
“Fortunately for you, the wound is not too serious. You will still be able to deliver the gift for the Hylian Royal Family tomorrow.” I heard him sigh as well with the good news I brought. As I finished wrapping the treated wound, I heard the door burst open behind me. Gee, I wonder who that could be, I thought to myself sarcastically. As expected, my breathless mother came bounding into the house, Sakura dragging her feet behind her. “Azuna!” I heard Link gasp out as my mother’s eyes widened at the scene before her. Azuna reached for my shoulders and pulled me into a fatal embrace.
“I was so worried about you! You were not home yet and I was scared that you had been captured or something! I went to Bo and asked him what happened and he told me that Ilia told him that Link was hurt and that you were taking him home to clean him up. I thought that you were hurt! Thank the gods that I have found you!”
I felt her tears splashing onto my cheeks as she sputtered her short monologue. I hadn’t paid much attention, considering the fact that she was cutting off my air ways. Unsure how else to get her to release me, I dug my recently sharpened nails into her arms.
She pulled away sharply, momentarily stunned; I, then, noticed that I had accidentally drawn blood. Four small puncture wounds, each rounded into crescents, remained where my nails had been.
“What has happened? Why is there blood all over you?” Azuna’s eyes widened as she scanned over me; she shuddered slightly as she continuously gawked at the blood that swamped my shirt.
I opened my mouth to answer, but I was immediately silenced as Link stood; he laid a hand on my shoulder, signaling that he would relieve me from my duty of explaining it to her.
“Look, we are all very tired and we have had a long day. So, why don’t we all just get some rest, hm?” Azuna stared blankly at him for a moment, and then nodded. Motioning toward me, she smiled sweetly and said, “Sweetheart, why don’t we go home and I’ll clean you up?” She held out her hand, waiting for me to take it. Instead, I took a step back into Link’s arms. “No, Mother. I must stay here. Link needs someone to take care of him for a while...” my voice trailed off and I motioned toward his open wounds.
Clutching her arm over the spot where I had injured her, she took in deep breaths to remain calm for the rather large audience. “Amari, dear...” she tried again, holding out her hand once more. Shaking my head, I buried myself deeper into Link’s arms.
She sighed, knowing that I had won the battle. Nodding, she grabbed Sakura’s hand and led her out the door; I heard small snickers coming from the other side of the door once it was shut.
“Amari.” His sweet, velvety voice echo softly throughout the room, reverberating back to me in a heavenly, symphonic melody.
I looked up to meet his sapphire eyes, staring intently down upon me.
“Thanks for staying with me. You are like a sister to me, you know. You’re just... always there for me. When I need you and when I do not need you.” The combination of his kind words and his velvet of his voice left me stunned, devoid of words; his flawless complexion was enough to stun any who came near to him.
I shook my head, trying to regain my senses. Once my voice returned to me, I turned away from him and muttered, “Yeah, sure. Anytime.” Blood rushed to my cheeks, returning the flushed color that had just faded away. I felt his warm fingers come in contact with the underside of my chin once more, my heart pounding faster than normal in the process.
By that point, I couldn’t help but to look at him. My heart pounded even louder now, forcing more blood to my already beet-red cheeks. I felt that longing sensation in me that I felt the last time I was alone with him. The kind of feeling that made me want to stay with him forever, even in death.
My mouth opened slightly, a low sigh flowing out. Before I could say anything, a shrill scream rang out from the village.
I gasped, turning towards the door. Link pushed me behind him protectively, holding me there with his muscular arms. His muscles tensed and his hands balled up into fists.
“Link, what’s happening!?” My voice cracked in fear. I knew that the fear that I felt was only there to cover up the anger I felt, the anger that came from nowhere.
Something doesn’t feel right about this... I thought, my lips starting to curl back over my teeth. Link, also, bared his teeth, continuing to hold me back from whatever was out there.
Then, I felt it. A feeling so strong that it nearly knocked me over. Stronger than fear, stronger than hate- that seemed almost impossible. The only word that I could describe it with was...
Exhilaration.
Joy, almost, that I would be somehow involved with this fight. I was excited, relieved that this was happening. It felt like I wanted this to happen, for something catastrophic to occur.
At that moment, loud pounding came from behind the door in a randomized order.
Neither one of us moved, like the soles of our shoes were welded to the ground. I felt a cool breeze swirl around my exposed toes and under the heels of my sandals. I shivered unintentionally, the cool seeming to catch me off guard. Did that come from under the door? I asked myself, mouthing the words at the same time.
Two more knocks- softer, this time, than the previous ones- came, followed by a booming explosion.
That explosion shattered the door, which came flying at the both of us in huge shards. Shards large enough to impale us, pinning us to the wall. Unable to react further, I closed my eyes and hoped that my death would be swift.

~ Chapter 2: Light Within Darkness ~


As the darkness behind my eyelids grew denser, my life played before me. My happy memories never came, no matter how desperately I cried out for them. Every moment that I spent crying or screaming... they came rushing into my mind, feeling more painful to me now than they did then.
Link’s warmth that radiated from him seemed farther off than ever, making feel alone in this hellish place. Once my memories faded, a lone orb of golden light manifested itself to me, bringing me a feeling of hope that I knew would be in vain.
But, then, the orb grew and swallowed me whole, leaving me stunned momentarily. I soon found my self unaware of my surroundings. Ugh... where am I?
“You are where you should be, Amari.”
This soft, foreign voice answered my unspoken question, causing me to gasp. I tried again, Who are you? The sweet voice answered, “You should already know the answer to that. Open your eyes.”
When those words finished echoing in my head, feeling returned to my body. The strange, sudden numbness faded, allowing me to open my eyes. What I saw before me was not the same as the image I remembered from only a few moments ago.
I was in a room with dark gray bricks closing off from everything else. I looked around, confused and frightened all at once. To my left, I notice a small flame flickering faintly in an intricately-designed fireplace and a vanity made of a dark wood- mahogany or cherry, maybe. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a large bed with a wood frame enclosing it, a translucent scarf of a deep purple color falling gracefully from its canopy.
All that I could see came to me in a dream-like sequence of images, too realistic to say I was asleep and too fantastic to say I was awake. I, then, noticed the dark figure standing before me.
The figure’s long robe fell to the ground in large folds, describing its elegance and age. The dark brown color seemed even darker in the unlighted room. The intimidating robe mocked me further with its black scarf wrapped loosely around the neck, blocking my view of the figure’s face.
It turned to face me, its eyes and mouth shrouded by shadows. Seeing this figure reminded me of the shadow that I had seen earlier. I remembered what it said to me.
You are more than what you believe yourself to be. Return to what you were and everything will become clearer.
What had he meant by that? I wondered. After what had happened recently, I had more than enough reasons to question myself, as well as my sanity.
I shook my head. Now is really not the time to start that, Amari! I scolded myself, sighing. Returning my attention to the figure, I asked once again, ‘Who are you?”
The figure sighed and shook its head sadly. “I am afraid I cannot tell you that, Amari. You must find out for yourself.” The small voice sounded disappointed- by this point, I recognized as a female’s voice.
I frowned, feeling slightly infuriated. “How do you my name? Why am I here?” My questions sounded closer to demands as my patience grew shorter with each breath.
She ignored my first question and went on to answer the second.
“You are here because your life will change soon. I am here to tell you what shall happen. Would you like to know?” The frail voice grew in strength, seeming much more confident and official than before.
I took a moment to go over what she had said. Eventually, I gave and, sighing, nodded. “Do your worst,” I replied, feeling defeated.
The figure sighed also and turned back to the window. For a moment, I caught a glimpse of her eyes. They sparkled a brilliant blue, brighter than I had ever seen before. And yet, behind the bright and bubbly blue, a dash of a depressing gray flashed across her eyes.
“Listen carefully.” Her voice seemed sharper now, daunted with a hint of anger. “Your world is about to take a turn for the worst. You, along with everyone you love, will be overtaken with twilight. A dark force, that which has been sealed away for many centuries, will break free and will envelop everyone within its evil.
“The legend of the Hero states that, when the dark power was sealed away, it swore to ‘return to Hyrule and destroy the worlds.’ The ancient sages ignored the dark one’s cry and ignorantly told every being that the Golden Age would be permanent. It is almost too late to save Hyrule now. But, you can still save the world, Amari.”
She turned back to me, laying a hand on my shoulder.
“What the dark one does not know is that, while he was released, the spirit of the ancient Hero returned, as well. As long as this light remains within the deepest darkness, there is hope. However, the Hero does not know of his true form yet. That is where you come in.
“You are the center of all of this. You are the key that links the world and all of its inhabitants together. You must find the newly awakened Hero of Time. Once you do, come find me.”
My jaw dropped as I gasped. How could I, a mere village girl, be the one thing keeping this world together? I can barely keep my room clean, let alone the world! How am I supposed to do that!?
“You will find a way, Amari. You always do.” She replied, annoying me with her ability to read my mind. “Wait a minute! How am I supposed to find you again if I do find the Hero? I don’t even know where I am!” I nearly shouted, hurting my own eardrums as the volume of my voice increased.
With her free hand, the figure placed an index finger on the middle of my forehead. The light from before once again began to swallow me in its warmth. Her cheeks lifted in a way that gave me the feeling that she was smiling- was that a tear that just rolled down her cheek? “As I said before, Amari, you will find a way.” The tone her voice was high in pitch- with pride, maybe?- yet still soft and frail.
As she faded from my sight, the light became thicker and heavier, pressing down on me with tremendous strength. Her voice called out one last time, seeming more like a thought than words.
Remember, Amari. You must find the new Hero of Time and bring him here. You are the last hope of the future of Hyrule. I trust that you will not fail.
Stay safe...

Those last two words floated around aimlessly, fading in and out until they disappeared completely. The strange woman’s voice was suddenly replaced by a much smoother, rather concerned voice that continuously called my name. A familiar warmth filled me with life, a lovely honey-dew scent opening my lungs. “Amari! Are you okay? Open your eyes, Amari! Please!” the voice cried, becoming clearer with each syllable. As the light faded into the darkness once again, I moaned. I heard a low gasp come from above me.
In the next fraction of a second, I heard the scuffling of feet away from me and the voice. “Whoa...” the voice murmured, an incredulous tome mixed within its relief. Finally, I was able to force my eyelids apart. I quickly took in my surroundings. Several bodies of fiends lay around me, Link crouched by the back wall of his house, and... “Holy crap! What happened here!?” I shrieked. There, sticking out of the wall, was a huge shard of wood with a small, golden doorknob hanging from a strand of wire. Link merely shook his head and pointed at my right hand. “Amari, how did you do that!?” he asked incredulously, eyes wide.
I turned, straightening out of my poise that I didn’t recall getting into. In my hand was my dagger that I had all but forgotten about bringing to work earlier. Had it been just the dagger in itself, I would not have reacted the way that I did. The fact that I held a dagger in my hand that looked like it was bleeding made the whole situation a whole lot worse.
The blood oozed of the edge of the knife in a disgusting purplish color, a color that would never belong to any human being. Then, I remembered the seemingly endless array of bodies that lay strewn out across Link’s living room floor. “What the-!” I sputtered, dropping the knife.
I took in each individual face that stared blankly in oblivion. Each fiend had a deep greenish hue to their skin and dull, crimson eyes. As each face came in more distraught and frightened, my heart rate increased drastically. I slowly turned to face Link.
“Did... did I do... this?” I asked him, gesturing to the motionless bodies that lay severed in several spots behind me. When he made no reply to my question, my eye began to water. My cheeks flushed a brilliant scarlet as the blood came rushing to them.
When Link noticed my sudden deluge of tears, he stood up and wrapped his arms around my shoulders. My shoulders shook violently as I sobbed into his chest. “Oh, please don’t cry, Amari. Why are you crying?” he asked, laying his head on top of mine. “Is it because you were scared?”
I shook my head, still continuing to sob. “I’m crying because I killed every one of these creatures... involuntarily.” My voice shook as I spoke. I gently nudged away from him, looking once more into his brilliant ocean-blue eyes. I remembered a feeling that, even though I had been numb previously, still occurred. “I remember. While I was fighting them off, although I don’t remember it too well, I felt happy to do it. To end them like that. It felt fantastic to shed their blood so... so viciously. Why?” My tears slowed to a stop.
Link only stared at me, refusing to say what I already knew he would say. He would say something along the lines of, Amari, it’s not your fault. You didn’t know what was going on. Don’t be so hard on yourself. But, I knew that I would scoff at him and reply sharply, Then how do you explain what just happened!? How do you explain how I ruthlessly killed those creatures like a bloodthirsty monster!? Even if they were going to try to kill us, I didn’t want to hurt them for no reason.
Link pulled my into his embrace again, allowing to breathe in his calming scent. With that in mind, I was able to think more clearly. I was finally able to ask myself the questions that lay buried under the recent events. Who was that girl from my vision? Why did she want me to find this ‘Hero of Time’? Why did she feel so familiar to me? I sighed, knowing that I would eventually answer these questions. I loosely held my arms around Link’s waist and smiled.
“Link?” I said, finally breaking the silence. He only replied with a huge sigh and a muffled, “Hmm?” I giggled, amused by his sudden interest in the scent of my hair. I buried my face deeper into his chest and said, “Thanks for being there.” He chuckled softly and began stroking my arm.
The sudden shock that came from his finger tips sent a flurry of thoughts into my mind.
Wait a minute! ‘Hero of Time’? It’s like from that legend of the ancient Hero! The Hero of Time was said to be reborn into the form of a young, human boy each time the kingdom of Hyrule was supposed to go into a crisis! So, that means, if that girl was going to send me after him... oh, crap! We are destined to go into another Dark Age, aren’t we!? And, if that happens...
“Oh, heck, no! Not again!” I shouted, falling backwards out of the embrace. Link stared at me, holding his hand out to help me up. “Hey, Amari, what was that all about?” he asked, surprised by my sudden clumsiness. I took his hand and stood, shaking all the while. “Amari, what’s going on? Why did you just fall like that?” he asked again, seeming more concerned this time than before.
I ignored his questions and repeated my thoughts out loud.
“If we go into another Dark Age, we’ll be in deep trouble! And, if that happens, the dark being that was sealed away will break free once again and destroy the world!”
I said each word within a fraction of a second as I speedily paced across the remains of the fiends. “But, if we are doomed, then the Hero would come back and that girl said that I had to find the new Hero. And it’s said that the ancient Hero was named Link, so, I would have to find a Link that matches the...Hero’s description...and...” My words slowed to a stop as I reassessed my last statement. “Wait. Link... the Hero. The only Link I know is...” My voice trailed off once again as I stopped pacing the floor, cooling my fast-working mind for a moment. I slowly turned to look at Link, who continued to stare at me as if I were crazy. My eyes widened as I realized what the girl meant.
“Amari, what are you talking about? I didn’t understand a word that you just said!” Link said, sounding both confused and disappointed. I continued my ravings in a much quieter tone than before, understanding the consequences of telling him about my findings. “You.” I said, pointing at him with a violently vibrating finger. “You’re the one. You’re the new Hero. I have found you. But, if you’re here, then, the fiends must have come because...” I silenced myself as shock and realization crossed my mind.
Pushing my legs as fast as they would go, I pranced out of the house and towards the bridge connecting Ordon to the Faron Woods. “Wait, Amari! Where are you going?” I heard Link shout after me as I sprinted.
Although it was nearly midnight, the sky was painted a fantastic red-orange color, the color of a beautiful sunset on a rainy day over a vast ocean. I, then, heard the heavy pounding of hoof beats on soft ground behind that grew louder and louder with each step I took. I didn’t need to look behind me to know that it was Link on Epona. Of course, that didn’t stop me from running. I continued running over the bridge and towards the opening of land that formed the entrance to the Faron Woods.
However, as I came closer to the opening, I skidded to a halt. Not too far behind me, I heard Epona whinny as she was forced to a stop. I stared in fear at the large, glowing mass that blocked any entry; it glowed a sinister, bright orange that intimidated me with each pulse of color that is sent across it.
As I stared deeper into it, I felt that overwhelming feeling of dread and despair that I only felt as the day fell into night. I heard a faint thud from behind me that was shortly followed by a sharp pace of sandals smacking into the dirt. “What do you think it is, Link?” I asked, already knowing that it was him.
He came up to my side swiftly and silently, staring at the great mass with just as much fear and curiosity as I did.
“I’m not sure. But, whatever it is, it must not be here to help us in any sort of way. I get a terrible feeling that makes my stomach lurch from this thing.” His voice sounded angrier than scared, almost hostile in a way.
I simply nodded, my eyes never leaving the mysterious thing that floated before us. “Yeah. Me, too. Something just isn’t right about this-“ I was cut off by my shrill shriek as an enormous, black arm flew out of the mass and grabbed me by the shoulders.
I was instantly pulled inside by this cold, gigantic hand and held several inches off the ground. What held me in that place was not human.
A large beast with thick, black cords stiffly flowing out of the top of its “head” and no visible eyes examined me. I heard a low grumble that was followed by a sharp gasp come from behind me. The creature’s hand tightened its grip around my neck, cutting off my airways little by little. The gasp that I had heard previously was replaced by a voice that cried out, “Amari!”
I slowly turned my head around to see Link in the same quandary as I was currently placed in. I outstretched my arm towards him, desperately clawing at the air for his hand. “Li... Link... h-help..” I gasped, my vision starting to blur slightly.
He did the same as he mouthed my name. As soon as our hands almost touched, a brilliant, golden light flashed from what I thought to be Link’s left hand. He turned around, using his other hand to shield his eyes.
Not even a fraction of a second later, the same event happened behind me. A bright light flared out warmly from the top of my right hand in the faint outline of an upside-down triangle.
Then, in perfect unison, both me and Link were thrown out of the creatures’ hands. We both collided with the ground several feet apart. I heard a low, muffled sound come from where Link was, but, my heart was pounding too loudly in my head for me to tell what was said.
I pushed myself up onto my hands and knees as my entire body pulsed unevenly. My head ached, my lungs felt as though they were being compressed, my whole body felt sore, and my heart raced inside of my chest.
I felt myself changing on the outside. My legs and arms felt like they were becoming extended, longer somehow. My shoulders collapsed inwards into a smaller, more petite formation. My hands and feet altered in ways unimaginable to any person on Earth.
My knuckle came closer together as my fingers sank into themselves, curving in the process. My nose and lips felt as thought they were being pulled right off of my face, from my chin to the bridge of my nose.
I screamed in agonizing pain as the process increased in intensity. Finally, the strange alteration of body slowed to a stop. As the pain swept away, carrying all feeling of my body with it, my knees buckled beneath me. My hands- or, rather, what was left of them- appeared to me as small, white blurs by my face.
In the background, I could still make out the shape of Link, who seemed to be undergoing some sort of pain that made him wretch around like a fish out of water. “L... Li..” I tried to gasp out. My voice came out in raspy whimpers, from what I could tell. As my sight faded out once more, my life flashed before my eyes once again. As my eyelids drooped over my eyes, I felt a warm sensation wash over me.
I felt a sense of peace that I hadn’t felt in a long time.


~ Chapter 3: Into the Twilight ~

I heard the low yet constant plopping of water falling into a puddle on the floor and the heavy breathing of some sort of wild animal. I felt a cool, tiled floor underneath of me and a frozen, circular bar around my wrist. I shook myself back into my senses as I tried to stand. The light clinking of chains ramming into each other rang sharply in my mind. I used my hands to push myself up onto my feet, but failed to do so. Surprisingly, it felt natural to stand on all fours like this.
As my vision returned to me, I started to look around at my surroundings. I saw the tall, intimidating bars of a prison cell gate before me, held shut by a large padlock that looked rusted and ancient. The bland walls were made up of cinderblocks and the floors were tiled with black linoleum.
In the back corners of the encasement, I saw two large bundles of straw in the form of beds shoved back carelessly. As my mind slowly assessed what these sights and sounds meant, I panicked and hurriedly glanced at myself. My wrist- or, what I thought was my wrist- was connected to a hook that was chiseled into the ground by a short, rusty chain.
I was unjustly thrown into a dungeon.
Even more panicked than before, I began running in circles around the hook that held me to that place. As I ran, I noticed a great figure standing off to the side. I stopped half way around and turned to face this figure.
A large wolf with green and gray fur that bristled furiously stood on its haunches, its lips curled back over it’s fangs in a sinister snarl. I slowly started backwards, stopping at the point where the chain was too short to continue.
Oh, man! If this thing attacks me, I’m dead! Let’s just hope that it won’t hurt me.
After hurriedly trying to contemplate a plan to persuade the wolf to calm down, I tried to tell it to relax. My voice came out in small barks and yelps, that of a fox or a small dog. I glared at the floor as I tried again. Once again, only sharp barks. What the..? Why can’t I talk right?
It was all that I could do at the moment not to scream and run. The wolf inched forward and a low growl rumbled deep within its chest. Then, the wolf’s fangs opened slightly as I heard words play in a velvet, musical yet hostile tone in my mind.
Who are you!? What do you want!? Are you with those creature’s that brought me here, fox!?
I made a noise that just barely resembled a gasp. Did he just call me a... fox?
Yeah, I just called you a fox! It mused, seeming more annoyed now than ever. That’s what you are! What’s wrong with you?
I froze, confused by what had just happened. You... I thought. You can hear my thoughts? How? The wolf sniffed roughly but never broke out of its defensive position. I wouldn’t call it ‘hearing your thoughts,’ per se. It just sounds like your talking to me. The wolf’s expression softened as he loosened his stance. You really don’t know what’s going on, do you?
I paused, then shook my head. I looked around once again, severely confused. Where are we exactly? Do you have any idea? The wolf shook his head and looked past the cell gate. No. I would like to know, though. I’m really worried about her... his voice trailed off, lowering to a more disappointed tone. His ears drooped and his sparkling blue eyes looked sad and lifeless. I huffed out a sigh, unable to reply at that moment.
I stood and trotted over to him and, cautiously, sat down.
He looked at me, sneered, and sat next to me. Trying to ignore the fact that I now knew that I was an animal- more specifically, a fox-, I kept up the conversation. So, who are you worried about so much? I asked, sincerely curious. Just as he was about to answer me, a childish giggle echoed throughout the small cell.

No comments: